case western reserve university



Warner Building

map Warner Building
Location: southwestern part of Case campus Description: 3-story red shale brick trimmed by Berea sandstone, reinforced concrete floors and brick panel walls carried on protected steel frame, 70% of outside walls of glass; 150x60 feet; 2 2-story wings, each 20x60 feet; containing laboratories, offices, classrooms, library

This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.

Formal Name
Worcester Reed Warner Laboratory
Named For
Worcester Reed Warner, trustee
Other Names
Worcester Reed Warner Laboratory of Mechanics and Hydraulics    

Constructed 1927-1928    
Architect Wilbur Watson and Associates
General Contractor
The Albert M. Higley Company

Cost $155,811
Gift of $200,000 from Worcester Reed Warner, trustee; Gift of $10,000 from William Harkness, friend; Gift of $10,000 from F. E. Drury, trustee

1928-1934: Applied Mechanics Dept.
1934-1944: Mechanics and Materials Dept. and Civil Engineering Dept.
1944-1949+: Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics Dept.
1928-1949+: Research, offices, classes, library

First Case Trustee for whom two buildings were formally named


This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.