Professor of Chemistry
216.368.5918 firstname.lastname@example.org Millis 225B
Ph.D. University of Basel (Switzerland)
Postdoctoral Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology
NIH R01 (PI: AM Broome CWRU) 2010-2015
NSF NIRT (PI: D. Dixon, Univ. of Alabama) 2007-2011
NSF Career Award for the years 2003 - 2008
ACS-PRF Type G Award 2003-2005
ACS-PRF Type AC 2006-2008
Burda Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Dr. Burda co-authored a review on the Chemistry and Properties of Nanocrystals of Different Shapes, which is one of the most accessed and cited publications in 2005, 2006, and 2007. He contributed to ~170 publications, H-indexed ~40.
Dr. Clemens Burda is the Director of the Center for Chemical Dynamics and Nanomaterials Research in the Chemistry Department, Case Western Reserve University. Since 2001 he is appointed as a faculty in Physical Chemistry specializing on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. His interests revolve around optically active or activatable nanomaterials for energy conversion, environmental studies, and health applications. This applies in areas such as photovoltaics, photocatalysis, photobiology and biomedicine, including bioimaging, therapy and tissue targeting for drug delivery. Prof. Burda received his chemistry education in Switzerland and graduated as a doctor of philosophy and science with honors in 1997 from the University of Basel. Dr. Burda is a reviewer for top-ranked nanoscience and chemistry journals, an editorial member for the International Journal of Nanotechnology, and an organizer of the Nanomaterials Conference at the 50th annual SPIE meeting in 2005. He speaks regularly at international conferences. He is also the co-founder of Cleveland Nanocrystal Inc.
Dr. Burda's work is based on these two simple ideas:
- The important issues for our future are mainly Energy, Environment, and Health.
- The important solutions to these challenges will come from using mainly Sun Light as abundant and decentralized energy source.
Therefore, his research is focused on topics outline on the Burda Research Group Web Site.
- Li, J.; Mao, B.; Gole, J. G.; Burda, C.. "Visible-light-driven Reversible and Switchable Hydrophobic to Hydrophilic Nitrogen-doped Titania Surfaces: Correlation with Photocatalysis". Nanoscale (2010), in press.
- Zhao, Y.; Dyck, J. S.; Hernandez, B. M.; Burda, C. "Improving Thermoelectric Properties of Chemically Synthesized Bi2Te3-Based Nanocrystals by Annealing". J. Phys. Chem. C (2010), 114(26), 11607-11613.
- Liang, G.-X.; Li, L.-L.; Liu, H.-Y.; Zhang, J.-R.; Burda, C.; Zhu, J.-J. "Fabrication of Near-infrared-emitting CdSeTe/ZnS Core/shell Quantum Dots and their Electrogenerated Chemiluminescence". Chem. Commun. (2010), 46(17), 2974-2976.
- Zhao, Y.; Dyck, J.S.; Hernandez, B.M.; Burda, C. "Enhancing Thermoelectric Performance of Ternary Nanocrystals Through Adjusting Carrier Concentration". J. Am. Chem. Soc. (2010), 132(14), 4982-4983.
- Qiu, X.; Zhao, Yixin; S., Ian M.; Dyck, J. S.; Burda, C. "Improvement of the Thermoelectric Power Factor through Anisotropic Growth of Nanostructured PbSe Thin Films". Dalton Trans. (2010), 39(4), 1095-1100.
- Cheng, Y.; Samia, A. C.; Li, J.; Kenney, M. E.*; Resnick, A.; Burda, C. "Delivery and Efficacy of a Cancer Drug as a Function of the Bond to the Gold Nanoparticle Surface". Langmuir. (2010), 26(4), 2248-2255. (Selected as Cover Page and Feature Article)
- Cheng, Y., Burda, C. Book chapter: "Nanoparticles for Photodynamic Therapy". In Nanoscience and Technology, Elsevier, London, 2010.
- Mao, C.; Zhao, Y.; Qiu, X.; Zhu, J.; Burda, C. "Synthesis and characterization of nitrogen-doped SnO2 and comparison to nitrogen-doped CeO2 nanoparticles for visible-light applications". ECS Trans. (2009), 16, 67-77.
- Zhao, Yixin; Burda, Clemens. "Chemical Synthesis of Bi0.5Sb1.5Te3 Nanocrystals and Their Surface Oxidation Properties". ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces (2009), 1(6), 1259-1263.
- Zhao, Yixin; Larimer, Philip; Pressler, Richard T.; Strowbridge, Ben W.; Burda, Clemens. "Wireless activation of neurons in brain slices using nanostructured semiconductor photoelectrodes". Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. (2009), 48(13), 2407-2410. (Selected as “Hot Paper”)
- Zhao, Yixin; Pan, Hongcheng; Lou, Yongbing; Qiu, Xiaofeng; Zhu, JunJie; Burda, Clemens. "Plasmonic Cu2-xS Nanocrystals: Optical and Structural Properties of Copper-Deficient Copper(I) Sulfides". J. Am. Chem. Soc. (2009), 131(12), 4253-4261.
- Dayal, S.; Burda, Clemens. "Surface Effects on Quantum Dot-Based Energy Transfer". J. Am. Chem. Soc. (2007), 129(25): 7977-7981.
- Liu, Y.; Li, J.; Qiu, X.; Burda, Clemens. "Novel TiO2 nanocatalysts for wastewater purification: tapping energy from the sun". Water Science and Technology (2006), 54, 47-54.
- Dayal, S.; Lou, Y.; Samia, Anna C.S.; Berlin, J. C.; Kenney, M. E.; Burda, Clemens. "Observation of Non-Foerster-Type Energy-Transfer Behavior in Quantum Dot-Phthalocyanine Conjugates". J. Am. Chem. Soc. (2006), 128(43), 13974-13975. [abstract] [pdf] [supp. info]
- Qiu, Xiaofeng; Austin, Leah N.; Muscarella, Philip A.; Dyck, Jeffrey S.; Burda, Clemens. "Nanostructured Bi2Se3 Films and Their Theroelectric Transport Properties" Ange.Chem. Int. Ed. (2006), 45, 5656-5659. [abstract] [pdf]
- Qiu, X.; Lou, Y.; Samia, A. C. S.; Devadoss, A.; Burgess, J. D.; Dayal, S.; Burda, C. "PbTe Nanorods by Sonoelectrochemistry" Ange.Chem. Int. Ed. ; (2005), 44(36), 5855-7. [abstract] [pdf]
- Burda, C.; Chen, X.; Narayanan, R.; El-Sayed, M. A. "Chemistry and Properties of Nanocrystals of Different Shapes." Chem. Rev. (Review); (2005), 105(4), 1025-1102. [html] [pdf]