In early 2013 the Cleveland Museum of Art will open an exciting new interactive space, called Gallery One. We are looking for outgoing undergraduates to become Gallery Hosts. The year-long program is an introduction to working in a world-class museum and an opportunity for learning and growth. Interns will receive college credit once training is completed.
Application deadline: September 10, 2012
As vital members of the Gallery One team, hosts will welcome and help visitors navigate the space and its interactive features, and talk with visitors of all ages about art. Through interaction with art, technology, and museum visitors, students will develop their ability to facilitate conversations with all types of visitors, and help create a comfortable museum environment. This pilot internship program is open exclusively to undergraduates at Case Western Reserve University.
Students will receive credit for their work after completing a fall semester of training. The following spring semester of gallery work will count as an internship for 3 credits. Mandatory weekly training sessions will be held at the museum on Wednesday evenings (6:00-7:30) beginning on October 10.
In the spring semester, students will work 1-2 gallery shifts per week. Continued involvement throughout the undergraduate career is encouraged, as schedules allow. Some gallery hosts may have the opportunity to become involved with peer training, gallery talks, and hands-on teaching opportunities, as well as the potential for a continued relationship with the museum.
Applicants should be enthusiastic, welcoming, and have an interest in the museum, its community, and technology. Send application materials to Patty Edmonson at email@example.com.
Application materials include:
• Resume or summary of work experience
• 500 word statement describing why you want to become a Gallery Host
• A non-academic writing sample: this could be a blog entry, newspaper article, exhibition review (get creative!)
• One letter of recommendation
• An e-mail from Art History Department Chair Catherine Scallen stating that you are eligible to receive credit for the second semester (contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org for details)